Friday 11 May 2018

Doctor with an ostomy

As a doctor I see so may different people and so many different sickness’ and injuries but never though I would also be one of those people. I’m a doctor, primarily a surgeon of all kinds of procedures. My life changed one day when I had a very serious snowboarding accident that left some significant damage to some specific internal organs. I can still remember the first thought I had. I thought I had just ruined my career as a doctor because of this injury, but that was not the case by a long shot. In fact, this injury brought me to my new primary field, which is ostomy surgeries. 



Some close friends of mine and me went on a trip to a nearby ski and snowboarding lodge. We have a regularly scheduled time every year we make this trip. It has turned into a tradition. The day was beautiful out, and the snow was falling, creating a nice fresh layer of powder to shred. We all went straight to the black slopes, which are the most difficult ones but also the most fun. We did a few runs without any problems. It was not until about the seventh run that I had my accident. I was going down the slope on a new section of the mountain. It had some rails to grind, and I could not help myself. This was a mistake. I went on what is called a snake. This rail twits and turns and then drops to another. I did the first one, and it was shaky when I made the transfer to the second rail. I missed my footing and body-slammed the rail, my helmet fell off, and I got a concussion. I passed out after about thirty seconds. 



When I came to, I was in the back of an ambulance being rushed to the emergency room. I immediately began telling them what had happened and what I was feeling. I was pretty sure I had ruptured my large intestine. When we got to the emergency room, my suspicions came to fruition as the doctor helping me told me I would need an ostomy procedure. More specifically, a temporary colostomy procedure. 

When my procedure was done, I was told that I could get back to work relatively soon, and I scheduled an appointment for six months out to have it reverted. In those six months, I soon came to realize that I wanted to help people like me who have had an accident and would need the same procedure as I had. When I told my work, I wanted to specialize in ostomy surgeries and why I wanted to, they were astounded and supportive. I’m glad to have been able to make the switch. In the time I have switched to ostomy surgeries, I have helped countless people. My patients tell me it is easier to get this procedure done when they see and hear about my ostomy



I am glad to have helped so many people in my new field. I feel mightily rewarded every time I hear them say it was easier to get it after I tell them about my procedure. It makes them easier to connect with and help them. As an ostomy surgeon, I have seen some pretty gnarly injuries but have been able to help them overcome them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment